I have been making this Mexican Casserole for years now and have gotten a lot of friends and clients hooked on it too. It is definitely one we keep in our rotation of favorite dinners. It is delicious, easy and gluten free. (It is also delicious vegetarian by omitting the chicken). My daughter loves to be my little helper in the kitchen which makes it fun. She likes to put all the ingredients in the bowl and mix. The casserole makes enough for leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day too, yah!
- 1 lb. cooked chicken breast
- 1cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup frozen organic roasted corn
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup salsa (I use Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde)
- 1/2 cup frozen onion (love these because I hate chopping onions!)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Optional Topping: crushed tortilla chips or chopped avocado
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients, place in a 13×9 pyrex dish. Bake 20-30 minutes. Top with a couple crushed tortilla chips and/or pieces of avocado. Serves 6 people.
Per Serving: 335 Calories, 5g Fat, 11g Fiber, 5g Sugar, 29g Protein