I was looking for something festive to have on Christmas Eve morning, but absolutely love starting my day with a smoothie. There is nothing like all the vitamins and antioxidants a smoothie can provide. So, I started with my basic formula: almond milk and chocolate protein and went from there. It turned out delicious! The must haves for this are the cacoa nibs. If you haven’t tried; they are amazing. They really enhance any smoothie. They can be found at Whole Foods and are loaded with fiber, magnesium and iron. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 serving chocolate protein (my favorite is Garden of Life Smooth Chocolate)
- 1 tbsp raw cacoa nibs
- 1 banana (frozen if possible)
- 2 handfuls of fresh organic spinach
- 1 drop of Young Living peppermint essential oil
- 1/2 packet of SweetLeaf Stevia (optional if you need to sweetened it up)
Blend and enjoy!
347 Calories, 11g Fat, 9g Fiber, 22g Sugar, 21g Protein
Do you count on your coffee in the a.m. to get you going? This is a healthy way to enjoy a little coffee and get some nutrients! Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed! You will need to prep today for your smoothie tomorrow.
PM Prep Work: Brew 3 cups of espresso roast coffee. Make as strong as you like. I used 3 scoops of Trader Joe’s organic espresso ground coffee. After you brew, fill an ice tray with coffee and let sit out until cooled down to room temperature. Freeze overnight.
Slice & freeze a banana overnight.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 serving whey protein (I like Tera’s Whey Organic Chocolate)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 packet stevia
- 1 frozen sliced banana
- 2-3 coffee ice cubes
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
Blend until smooth and enjoy!
285cals, 6g fat, 39g carbs, 8g fiber, 16g sugar, 24g protein
I wanted to drink a healthy smoothie to start the day that incorporated each color of the rainbow. Each color fruit and vegetable offers different nutrients so I figured what a powerful way to start the day! The smoothie has a rich chocolate flavor with my new favorite whey protein and antioxidant-rich cocao nibs. First off, my new favorite protein, Tera’s Whey, is made with fair trade organic cacao beans and sweeten with organic stevia leaf. It is rBGH gree and is non GMO. You can find at Whole Foods or on Amazon. Second, the cocao nibs..these are the highest antioxidant level cocao as they are the least processed. Its antioxidant level is suppose to be higher than blueberries and cranberries. It adds richness to your smoothie. It can be found at Whole Foods. They are expensive though, so you can also substitute with unsweetened cocoa powder.
This works best if you have a decent blender. I invested in a Vitamix last year and it is the BEST! I highly recommend. It will blend anything up so smooth that you do not have chunks you have to chew through.
- 1 1/2 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- 2 scoops Tera’s Whey Protein
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup frozen organic strawberries (RED)
- 1 carrot, chopped (ORANGE)
- 1/2 banana (YELLOW)
- 1 large handful of fresh organic spinach (GREEN)
- 1/2 cup frozen organic blueberries (BLUE)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao nibs (BROWN)
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower (WHITE)
Add all above ingredients to blender. Start slow and gradually increase to full speed until well blended together. Add 1 packet of stevia or entire banana if you prefer a sweeter taste. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg if you want a little spice to it. Enjoy!
302 Calories, 4g Fat, 11g Fiber, 25g Sugar, 24g Protein
This green smoothie is a great way to sneak in a veggie first thing in the morning and it’s perfect for when you don’t have a lot of time in the a.m. It is my go-to smoothie that my kids like too!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop chocolate protein
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 frozen banana (or 1/2 banana to cut 50 calories)
- 1 large handful of fresh organic spinach
Combine all ingredients and blend well.
417 Calories, 18g Fat, 9g Fiber, 20g Sugar, 28g Protein
This is seriously my favorite smoothie ever! It tastes like dessert…so rich and delish! I am also obsessed with cinnamon so the combo makes it fantastic! I found this recipe from Caroline Apovian’s website and modified it a bit and have been making it since. Even my kids love it!
- 1 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk blended with
- 1 scoop whey protein (choc or vanilla)
- 1 packet of stevia
- 1 tsp cinnamon (I usually add 1 tbsp because I like it so much!)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed or chia seed
- 1 banana, sliced (I like to use frozen bananas)
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 small celery, diced
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach or kale
- 1 cup ice (optional)
Add ingredients as listed and blend until smooth!
298 Calories, 7g Fat, 10g Fiber, 21g Sugar, 26g Protein