Are you bored on your runs or looking to increase speed? This workout will cure both problems. I was bored on my run this morning without my Garmin to track my pace. So, to change it up, I started running intervals. It was challenging when you really push yourself and now my legs are wiped! I would recommend doing this either on a paved trail or early in the morning before too many cars are out on the road so you don’t get interrupted on your sprints.
- Run 10 minutes to warm up. You want to make sure your legs are loose and ready for the interval work to come.
- Interval work:
- 1 minute sprint (as fast as you can, no holding back). You should be wiped at the end of a minute!
- 1 minute recovery. I started with 30 seconds of walking and 30 seconds of very light jog, but by the last set I was doing 45 seconds of walking, 15 seconds of light jog.
- Repeat 4 more times for a total of 5 rounds or 10 minutes worth.
- Run 8 minutes easy pace
- Walk 2 minutes to cool down