A friend of mine gave me this recipe and it is really good for a lower fat version of queso dip! And, there is no cheese in it! It is filled with good ingredients. Pair it with some veggies and you will be getting a healthy snack that seems way too good to be healthy! This queso is filled with potassium and vitamin A. Enjoy!
- 2 Tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 cup (about 7 ounces) chopped Yukon gold potatoes (you can leave the peel on)
- ¼ cup chopped carrots (about 1 small carrot)
- ⅓ cup chopped onion (I used frozen)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup raw cashews (soaked for 1-5 hours and drained if you your blender is weak)
- 4Tablespoons unsalted butter (I used Kerrygold Grassfed Butter)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic, minced (about 1 medium clove)
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional, but add it if you have it)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds discarded, diced (about 3 Tablespoons)
- ½ cup frozen fire-roasted organic corn, defrosted
- ¾ cup cooked pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained if using canned
In a medium saucepan, add the shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion and water and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
Place the cashews, butter, salt, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne in a blender or food processor. Add the softened vegetables and cooking water to the blender or food processor and process until perfectly smooth.
Pour sauce back into pot, and add the jalapeno, corn, and beans. Warm over medium-low heat for 4-6 minutes. Can be made ahead and reheated.
8 Servings/Per Serving: 227 Calories, 13g Fat, 3g Fiber, 5g Sugar, 3g Protein