I am always looking for healthier swaps and this one didn't disappoint! I couldn't tell the difference and my kids loved them! With these, there is no sugar spike with the added protein. Skip the boxed pancake mix with a laundry list of ingredients you won't recognize! I just had to share this recipe I found on glutenfreeonashoestring.com
Also to keep it healthier, simply melted almond butter or peanut butter over the top and fresh berries, optional to drizzle with honey or maple syrup.
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk at room temp
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup at room temp
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce at room temp
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned gluten free rolled oats
- 2 big scoops or 4 small scoops unflavored collagen peptides
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a blender or food processor, place the eggs, milk, syrup, applesauce, then the oats, protein powder, baking powder, salt and vanilla, and blend or process until as smooth as possible.
Allow the pancake batter to sit for 3 to 5 minutes to thicken.
Heat a griddle or nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Grease it lightly.
Pour portions of about ¼ cup of batter onto the hot griddle at least 1 inch apart from one another. Allow the pancakes to cook until large bubbles begin to break through the top of the batter in each pancake and the edges are set (about 2 minutes).
With a wide, flat spatula, carefully flip over each pancake, and continue to cook until set (about another 30 seconds). Remove from the skillet, and repeat with the remaining batter.
Per pancake: 75 calories, 2g fat, 8g carbs, 1g fiber, 1g sugar, 6g protein